I haven't got any experiences with it, but the fread function will probably
be your problem..
As far as I can see you try to read 24 Megabyte into a var...

This is quite large, and probably your script will be quite because of
memory problem, or a OS don't won't allow you to use that much memory for
the process..

What solution you will have to use I don't know, problaby read blocks of 500
kilobyte process it and then reuse the variable to read the next 500
kilobyte etc etc till you are finished..

Bye Bye
David