Sup,
    Adding "explain" before the select query will show you how long it will
take, along with some other info, but it won't actually give you the
results.

I use a the function microtime (http://php.net/microtime) to figure
execution time.  When called, microtime will return a string with
miliiseconds then seconds seperated by a space.  So you have to do something
like this...

function sn_Msecs()
{
   $mt = microtime();
   $mt = explode(" " , $mt);

   return ($mt[1] + $mt[0]);
}

That will return seconds.milliseconds or something like 13123141.1231, it is
not in proper math form.

 Just call it before a block of code or query, then call it after and
subtract the second one from the first.

SL.