[snip]
I'm guessing you wouldn't ask this, Jay, unless there was an issue with
not knowing the depth of the data.
[/snip]

Exactly. I have another department that sends the data as text files and
I knew that I could send them to a database and all would be well, or
relatively so. But that adds a layer of complexity. If I can have the
department upload the file (I know, I could parse the uploaded file etc.
etc...but this needs to be quick...or needed to be) or just save it to
the proper location then I wouldn't have to worry about the updates,
unless something failed. I have set a couple of rules that the file must
follow, but they can do anything else that they want to (and they will)
with the file. Given your suggestion I am working a solution now.