Hey all,
first of all; a big thank you to all of you for replying, rather than mix up
my replies to all of you I will write my response to you under your name as
I have gotten so many different leads/opinions/views.

One last requirment I forgot to mention before was that I wanted to work
with PHP 4 only, I have not totally upgraded my knowledge to PHP5...I did
find a few classes on the php classes site for PHP5 that looked promising
but didnt work too well with what I had in mind.

Eric Wood:
------------
Thanks for the link, will look into it, from your reply it sounds really
simple, at worst will learn something new  :-)

 Manuel Lemos:
----------------
Thanks for the links and the info, quite a bit that I didnt know about, esp
the IE6 part and activeX

 Rasmus Lerdorf:
-----------------
That was a real long explanation; the least I can do is give the Yahoo
package another go since you took so much time to write that explanation
with the example.
:-)
 Problem is; its been ages since I fooled around with the JS DOM and to say
I am rusty would be an understatement. I had already downloaded the
"YUI.zip" file.
Thanks again.

Carlin Bingham / Tedd:
-----------------------
Yes, but then I would have to reload the whole page just to tell the person
that the account username was already taken...thats how its "traditionally"
done...but I want to try doing it without reloading the whole page...hence
Asynchronous JavaScript And XML (AJAX) although the XML part at the end is
not really too accurate because from what I see you can (and i have) use
AJAX without any XML...in my case it would be AJAH or AJAT (H=HTML, T=TEXT)
:-p

The other thing is, I thought I would start with something simple but still
real world and then work myself up to more complex stuff.... thats how I
learnt PHP; even though I didnt start with the "Hello world" in PHP I
started with basic strings and with the help of a book (PHP Blackbook) and
this list (better than any book) I rarely program in anything other than PHP
now.

"AJAX" is one of the new "hot words" over here and I see quite a few job
openings with this word used even though going the the employers site I see
very basic or non existant use of it (or even unnecessary use of it), it
does not seem very distant from normal programming (and i used to fool
around with JS a while back) so might as well learn a bit about it and add a
little more to the old CV ;-)

In closing....all of you............. get your butts off the chair and off
the computer............................and have a nice weekend!

Cheers,
Ryan