Anyway, I've started looking at this, but I'm not quite sure if it's even possible. I mean, can "something" send a request to Apache, and continue to write data along that TCP socket? Normally, HTTP requests include GET or POST for such data, but this is not a a web browser that's opening the connection. Hope I'm somewhat clear. Just struggling through some options here.... Anyway, thanks in advance for any suggestions.
...Rene

> each client will open a persistent TCP socket connection to a
> common IP address:port (10.10.10.10:1234)

(If you want simultaneous connections, each TCP connection will be to a different port.)

Well, not if the client (actually, it's a pre-programmed physical device) is set to always open a socket connection to 10.10.10.10:1234... right?

But rather than write a client and a server application from scratch, why not just use HTTP POSTs?

I'm not writing the client, I just need to make a server that can accept numerous simultaneous incoming socket connections, and maintain them.

Maybe stream_select() as someone suggested? I suppose my question would be, can a single PHP socket server script, executed from the command-line, maintain 1000s of concurrent connections (there is not a lot of data incoming, btw)?

...Rene