This is my database now...I will use the item_id for the order but what if I
want to change item_id 3 to item id 1? How can I push all the items down one
place? How can I delete any gaps when items are deleted.

CREATE TABLE `board_papers` (
  `id` int(4) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `doc_date` varchar(10) NOT NULL default '0000-00-00',
  `article_type` enum('agenda','minutes','paper') NOT NULL default 'agenda',
  `fileName` varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
  `fileSize` int(4) NOT NULL default '0',
  `fileType` varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
  `content` blob NOT NULL,
  `item_id` int(10) default NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`id`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=8 ;

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]