There are names for people who use the blob field of a MySQL db to store
images.
Moron, and Idiot are just two examples, but if other circumstances exist,
you can say newbie as well. As a newbie I thought myself that storing images
in a DB would be a nice clean solution. Voices of experience said otherwise.
Over the years as I grew more experienced I began to understand myself, why
putting images into a MySQL Db is a Bad Thing[tm].

Use blobs to store small amounts of transient data. Use the FS to store
something as large and semi-static as images.

Sorry if this seems rough / harsh, but if it causes a person to think twice
before using MySQL as a file storage solution, then it's justified.

There are a few less polite names for people who develop software like this
that I have to maintain later.

Are you going to write queries that involve the data *IN* the file as
part of the search, sort, or filtering?
PHP has the facilities built-in to perform this search/sort/filter - while
their use isn't always the cleanest solution, anything is better than
putting files in a db.

If you can't find the features you require, then feel free to use external
tools - anything to avoid db file storage.