Am 2006-05-11 13:40:34, schrieb tedd:

> Plus, moving images from one system to another
> was much easier because you just moved the dB and
> you don't have to worry about the file system and
> breaking links.

This can be done from a script to...

> In addition, if you are using multiple hosts, who
> require the same images, then using mySQL is far
> superior than trying to keep all the images in
> different file systems synchronized.

This can be donw from filesystem too

    http://pics.your-domain.tld/path/to/pic.png

> Furthermore, according to Paul DuBois (author of
> MySQL Cookbook, great book btw) who says "If you
> store images on the file system, directory
> look-up my become slow" in his comparing file
> system to mySQL for image storage.

???

It depends, how many pics you have. But if you install a dedicated
Server for the pics with, e.g. 1 GByte of memory and apache 1.3.
It is fast as the heaven...  My Linux-Box hold all pics in memory.

> Granted, if you use mySQL for storing images,
> then you bloat the tables and approach your
> system limits faster than using a file system.
> But for a limited amount of images, there isn't
> any real problems.

Hmmm, My PostgreSQL is around 370 Gbyte now and if
I import all Pics, it would be around 1,8 TByte...

Good night...

> And for goodness sake NO, Google is NOT always
> right -- it's only a collection of everyone's
> view. When did Google replace valid research? I
> can see tomorrow's mother's saying to their
> children "If Google jumped off a bridge, would
> you do it?"

Yes, because I like Bungee-Jumping...
(Paraglideing too)

;-)

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)