Can they play nicely together?

For instance I have a small JavaScript sniplet that will check certain
checkboxes if a radio button is selected. Since I have a fair amount of
checkboxes I want to put them in an array all their own so I use the
XHTML syntax w/brackets;

<input type="checkbox" name="list37[]" value="7" />

Suddenly JavaScript doesn't care for the object and throws an error
(take the brackets out and it works fine for JS, but PHP cannot see all
of the values). I have Googled for this but think that my search term(s)
are failing me because the condition is hard to describe.  Would someone
please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!