[snip]
1. Anytime you put anything into a dB then use
mysql_real_escape_string() function. If you are NOT going to put it
in a dB, then you don't need mysql_real_escape_string() function --
understand?
[/snip]

Untrue... It isn't just inserting into a DB that requires this function...
Consider:

User enters:
anything'; DROP TABLE x; SELECT 'a' = 'a

into the form for username... Now your unescaped SQL statement reads:

UPDATE members SET status='live' WHERE Username = 'anything'; DROP TABLE x;
SELECT 'a' = 'a'

Where x can be a brute-forced table name... I can't remember if MySQL allows
multiple statements but I seem to remember hearing that MySQL5 does... If
I'm wrong correct me and tell me to RTFM :)

Nice catch on the error... I didn't notice that :)

HTH (and that I'm right :) )

Dan
--
http://chrome.me.uk