2006/6/5, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

This is just one of those cases where the designers had to make a
judgement call on how things were going to operate.  It makes sense if you
look at the two things separately (incrementing vs string 'greatness'
evaluation) and makes sense that how they chose to implement the functions
are two valid choices among many ways that it could have been handled.

How does it make sense? I don't understand your argument, can you explain it
a little bit more?

From a developers point of view it becomes "it is what it is".  Now
understanding the nature of the beast we must accept that this is just how
PHP works.  It's not wrong, it's just strange when it comes to z++ combined
with a for loop.  Probably an unforeseen disconnect when designing PHP but
the most important thing is understanding HOW it works (more so than 'why'
it was designed that way) and coding accordingly.

I agree, this is what we have and what we asked for, we wanted to use
strings on a math context and these things are bound to happen. But still
saying that something is right/wrong/not right/not wrong in CS is a bold
statement. On a certain context something may seem right but when the
context changes it turns out to be wrong, for example suppose we have a
programming language that handles strings the way PHP does, and it
implements templates or generics (the term you prefer the most). The
template/generic should have to be aware of strings when using math
operators, because they don't behave the way a math literal would.

There are many other ways to accomplish an A-Z sequence so as long as what's
been discussed is understood as "just how PHP is", and that it's logical for
certain purposes, then we can choose one of the other choices for solving
the problem.

I don't think it's only about us as developers using PHP, but us as
community giving back something to the community. This might be a small
issue but what would be the whole point of being an open-source community if
we can't at least discuss about it? "It just the way things are" is not an
argument, it's an excuse.

-TG