sam wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2006, at 1:58 PM, tedd wrote:
>
>> At 11:33 AM -0700 6/13/06, sam wrote:
>>> Wow this is hard I can't wait till I get the hang of it.
>>>
>>> Capitalize the first letter of a word.
>>
>> Try:
>>
>> <?php
>> $word = "yikes";
>> $word[0]=strtoupper($word[0]);
>> echo($word);
>> ?>
>

> This blows my mind. What should one think, "everything is an array"?

an array is an array.
a string is a string.

characters in a string can be accessed using array-like notation using the
offset postion of the relevant char (elements are zero based)

> Well, okay not every but everything that's in linear consecutive order;
> anything that can be indexed?
>
> I was trying to make an array from $word but explode() doesn't take an
> empty delimiter so I gave up and went for the preg_replace.
>

> And hey yo, Jochem,
> I did RTFM, for hours, I always do before I post to the list. I just

I'd tell you to RTFM (although I did tell you to read the manual regarding
the specifics of using preg_replace()'s 'e' modifier after showing you a
working example of how to use it, based on your original code snippet)

I did berate the fact that you waited no more than 7 minutes before
sending a 'help me' reminder regarding your original post.

> missed all the answers in the fine manual this time. Cut me some slack.

cut you slack? are you a graphic designer or something?

> Where should I wire the Euros to?

my paypal account name is my email address :-)