To refine that a bit, you may want to give them some code that has been intentionally broken (simple things for the entry level position, such as missing semicolons or curly braces etc) and watch to see how they go about discovering the parse errors. To me, it would be better to hire someone that can solve problems quickly, not someone who can simply tell you what a piece of code is doing. Just a thought though - good luck!

-Joe