I have an issue with sending email via PHP which may be a configuration problem
with either PHP, Apache, or possibly a Sendmail, but I don't know which yet.  I
figured I'd start here first.

Here's the situation.  I have several webpages that send email to users for
various reasons.  We have our webserver, an intranet webserver, configured to
connect to our smtp server which sits on a different box. The script looks like
this:

<?PHP
$from = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]";
$to = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]";
$subject = "Test";
$msg = "This is a test from my site\n\nTimestamp: " . date("r");
$headers = "From:$from\r\n";
if(!mail($to,$subject,$msg,$headers)) { die("Unable to send"); }
?>

This works great when it works. Users receive email as expected and when they
hit reply it goes back to the webmaster email address.  The problem is if the
to email address isn't a valid one.  When this happens, the mail server bounces
the message back to [EMAIL PROTECTED] instead of [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I've tried adding reply-to to the mail headers and that doesn't work either.
We tried sending the same failed message using webmin and that worked great,
which is why I believe this to be a PHP or Apache problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Robbert