The session variable values get stored to the session file (or database, or
wherever your configuration is set to store them) at the end of script 1.
When session_start() is called in script 2, those values get restored from
the session file. So, your results are expected: PHP  needs to store the
session values from script 1 before they can be retrieved by script 2.

Kirk