Mel,

Not sure if I understand your question now or not, but here goes.  In
order to prepare your page you want to be able to click a link on the
left and have the page on the right replaced with something in response.

Technically when php prepares the page, it prepares both sides (unless
you are using frames).  If preparing each side requires different
queries against your database, you can certainly do two database queries
in the same execution.  When you first posed your question you talked
about starting two pages at once.  What I see is one page.  Perhaps if
you used frames you could cause the left frame to be a separate PHP
script and the one on the right another, this would allow your server to
process both requests simultaneously, perhaps this is what you meant?
Technically they are still part of the one page, but each would be a
separate frame within the page.

Caution about using technical terms, in your first message you referred
to separate pages when (I believe) you may have been referring to one
page (yes, page is a technical term) and in your second message you used
a term "Join" which has a meaning when running queries on your database,
causing me to think for a moment that your question had been about
retrieving information from your database, which you seemed to mention.

If you opt to use frames and are new to PHP programming, or programming
with frames, expect difficulties (use of Target consistently is the
key).  I avoid frames unless I simply can't do what I want to do without
the use of them.  I think at one time some browsers didn't support
frames, not sure any more.

Warren Vail