Hi Ashley,

Are all the files called file.xxxx.jpg or could they have other names such
as clouds.1123.jpg, field.2034.jpg etc?

If they all have the same name, you could use something like scandir() and
then just use the first 5 items in the returned array.

You could also loop through the directory with readdir() and add the
filenames to an array. You could index this array with the 4 digit string,
ksort it and then use the first/last 5 entries. This would work even if the
files had different names.

The downside of these suggestions is that if there are lots of files you
would end up with a large array stored in memory.

Alternatively, you could get the OS to do the work through an exec call to
something like 'ls *.????.jpg' or similar. The downside of this however is
that it is then OS dependent.

Hope this gives you some ideas though.

Edward