----- Original Message ----- From: "Fredrik Thuresson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <php-general@lists.php.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 5:45 AM
Subject: Re: [PHP] Tidy HTML source?

"At one point or another plain HTML has to be generated. "

Care to give me an example? I never generate any html in my php code anymore.

You are entitled not to, but stretching it to the point of denying that HTML is ever generated by anyone at anytime? Most pre-packaged applications such as blogs, CMS, picture galleries do produce HTML directly without template engines which would require a separate installation issues and dependencies which most designers try to avoid. Even template engines have libraries of gadgets which do produce HTML directly.

So, you might not echo HTML directly. That is fine, it is an option. This is not for you. Evidently those who participated in these thread before do generate HTML directly because they are concerned about formatting it and that would be unnecesary if they used templates.

It's not very pretty when your code looks like echo "\n\t\t\t\t\t\t<tr>";

Look at the examples I pointed to, you won't see anything like that.

Is that not a form of a templating engine that your are building?

No, not at all. Just read the document. Moreover, I would appreciated if you read my e-mail in full, specially the part that says: " I would appreciate any comment on the project, EXCEPT that you use template engines and that you do not generate HTML directly."

Satyam

Fredrik

Satyam wrote:
May I invite you to check http://satyam.com.ar/pht/? This is a project I started some time ago to help me produced HTML in a more clean and efficient way. Usually, producing good HTML involves running a sample output through some HTML validator or looking at the HTML and checking it out by hand, which, of course, requires good formatting to make it understandable. In the case of too dynamic HTML (meaning, output can vary widely) it is impossible to produce enough samples of all the possible outputs to get them checked out.

So, my idea was to embed HTML into the language itself so that the final output could be checked at 'compile time' and even before, using the standard tools provided by the IDE (even just matching braces goes a long way into checking for missmatched HTML tags).

The samples page (http://satyam.com.ar/pht/sample.htm) show several examples.

I think that a tool such as this one might avoid any concern about tidying up HTML since, after all, most of the checking could be done at the PHP source level. Further development (which I have not started yet) would lead to automatic verification against DTDs or XSchemas.

And, of course, I would appreciate any comment on the project, EXCEPT that you use template engines and that you do not generate HTML directly. I've heard that and it is completely missing the point so, please, spare me that one. At one point or another plain HTML has to be generated.

Satyam

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Kelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>