The example provided didn't work for me.  It gave me the same string without
anything modified.

I am also looking for this solution to strip out text from some XML response
I get from posting data to a remote server.  I can do it using substring
functions but I'd like something more compact and portable. (A one-liner
that I could modify for other uses as well)

Example 1:
<someXMLtags>
        <status>16664 Rejected: Invalid LTV</status>
</someXMLtags>

Example 2:
<someXMLtags>
        <status>Unable to Post, Invalid Information</status>
</someXMLtags>

I want what is inside the <status> tags.

Does anyone have a working solution how we can get the text from inside
these tags using regex?

Much appreciated,