If you didn't say "using regex" this is how I'd do it  (untested, forgive typos
and such..ripped from some code I actively use and stripped down):

<?PHP

  $_XML_RESPONSE_PARSER = xml_parser_create();
  xml_set_element_handler($_XML_RESPONSE_PARSER,
'xml_response_open_element_function', 'xml_response_close_element_function');
  xml_set_character_data_handler($_XML_RESPONSE_PARSER,
'xml_response_handle_character_data');
  xml_parse($_XML_RESPONSE_PARSER, $_XML_RESPONSE, strlen($_XML_RESPONSE));
  xml_parser_free($_XML_RESPONSE_PARSER);
~
  $FoundStatusTag = false;
~
  function xml_response_open_element_function($p, $element, $attributes) {
    global $FoundStatusTag;
~~
    if (strtoupper($element) == "STATUS") $FoundStatusTag = true;
  }
~
  function xml_response_close_element_function($p, $element){
    global $FoundStatusTag;
~
    // do nothing special for now
  }
~
  function xml_response_handle_character_data($p, $cdata){
    global $FoundStatusTag;
~
    if ($FoundStatusTag) {
      echo $cdata;