An HTTP response can only do ONE of these two things:
output HTML
start a download

If you see sites such as SourceForge that *seem* to do this in one
page, and analyze their HTML and their headers, you will find that
they are using a META refresh tag or some JavaScript to cause the
original HTML to re-direct to another URL, which then does the
download.

So, really, you are visiting the HTML output page, and then in that
page, some browser-side hack is forcing the download.

I personally find this annoying rather than useful, frankly, but there
it is.  It obviously works for SourceForge and they have a lot of
users, so I must be the exceptional surfer who is annoyed by this.
[Just gimme the download link -- don't make me surf to a page to get
to the page that gives me the page to get the download.  Sheesh!]

Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?
http://cdbaby.com/browse/from/lynch
Yeah, I get a buck. So?