On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 12:06 -0500, tedd wrote:
> At 11:24 AM -0500 12/23/06, Robert Cummings wrote:
> >On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 11:05 -0500, tedd wrote:
> >>
> >>  In my opinion, wrong thinking. You ask how many records appear before
> >>  and after a search string result. That's like asking "What's the
> >>  difference between an orange?" -- it doesn't make sense.
> >
> >It makes perfect sense. He has an order to his universe of items. The
> >search criteria pull out a subset of his universe and he wants to know
> >where in the universe any given item normally lies.
>
> Okay, but in what order? Numerically, alphabetically, temporally
> (time entered, time last altered), likeness, length, height, width,
> weight, density, color, or what? You need to measure the item to
> others in some frame of reference.
>
> >This is akin to asking I want all words from the dictionary that have
> >monster in their definition, then look at the word Yeti and saying ok,
> >now where does Yeti lie with respect to all other words.
>
> Again, in my opinion, that's fuzzy thinking. Sure, Yeti may be in the
> monster sub-set, but how much monster it is as compared to Lockness?
> You need a means, a yardstick, to compare the two with each other.
> Like, is Lockness bigger than the Yeti while monster-mouse is
> smaller, or what?

Who the hell cares, I asked for any entry with monster in the
description, I didn't say make higher level philosophical debate within
your head as to the level of monsteriness. Quit trying to paint shades
of gray when all that lies before you is black and white. We have an
order, the order in the dictionary, we have a query for which results
are returned using the same ordering criterion as in the dictionary.

> >Now to provide the answer he wants... AFAIK you need to select all items
> >from the table and populate into a temporary table with auto increment.
> >Then select the item in question and it's temporary ID from the
> >temporary table.
>
> Sure, if you can decide on what bases to select and sort the other
> items to populate the table.

He has already decided an order so your rebuttal is completely devoid of
additional content.

Cheers,
Rob.