[snip]
I often see job ads asking for a PHP expert and was wandering what you
all thought makes a PHP programmer into an expert.

what would you mark out as the key skills that distinguishes an expert
from the ordinary i.e. OOP mastery, regular expressions etc.
[/snip]

First I would consider number of years of programming experience
including how many years a programmer had been using PHP. I would
examine some code and look for organization, documentation, and
consistency. Is the programmer published (articles, books, etc) which
may not count against expertise?

An expert encompasses so much more than skills. For instance, I could be
an expert on football because I understand history of the game, have
been published, understand game planning and execution, and have played
at the wide receiver position. Only the last 2 items really require
skills.