Try the following:

$server->register('getColumns', array(), array());

The second argument is an array containing an entry for each argument of the
webservice call, and the third argument is an array for the return value.
Since you don't have either arguments nor return value, empty arrays should
be provided.

Also I think you should call $server->configureWSDL(<domain>), before
registering anything.