(this is a bit off list, but i think it is important for developpers to
understand even a part of how the systems they are using works..)

I follow the thread and none of the explanation make any logical sens..
Ahem.. Win..... Anyways,

Put it this way guys, apache, php and mysql are native to *nix, *nix  has
strict standards on names (no spaces.. Above i see a line with spaces in the
dir that doesn't work, and one without spaces that does work.. Hint hint?),
a common place to access all configuration files (no copying this file here
then there cus we don't know where to look to configure things correctly),
strict standards on user permissions (nowadays hehe) AND you all mentioned
vista's new 'security tightening', is this really a suprise?? For years have
been setting up servers on *nix machines and always came to appreciate this
'tight security' as a strive from the developpers to have a good security
base for the running daemons before even using them...

Suggestion? Learn how to setup a server on a unix system, get out your old
386  or 486 (even made a router/firewall/ftp server with an old 286, great
cus they have no fans on em so make no noise ;) and install a linux distrib
to get a feel for permissions and security and you will appreciate the new
security features in vista (to some extent lmao)..

Second Suggestion.. Learn your OS, its security schema, user permissions
etc.. Click and go is NOT a solution, it never will be and will almost
always miss a case (especially when it comes to server daemons) where it
should have worked..
You'll save yourself a lot of time this way rather then searching in the
wrong places..

My productions servers are linux, my developpment server is linux, i
wouldn't have it any other way.. It's almost treason to run an open source
language on a proprietary OS! (laugh laugh, don't get upset its a joke)..

Double quote:

"He who asks a question may be a fool for a few minutes
He who does not ask may be a fool forever"

... but he who takes the question ... who has the want to find out for
himself ... the reasoning behind ... and not just the answer. Those are the
sort of people that will learn ... (Rhino) <- y'all know who he is ;)

Regards,

Tim