On Wed, April 11, 2007 2:49 pm, Mattias Thorslund wrote:
> I have looked in the documentation but can't find it:
>
> My PHP script (which is run from the command prompt - CLI) needs to
> know
> the file system location of the PHP executable. This is because it
> needs
> to run a second PHP script. I know about the "which" command but it's
> not available in all OSes, and that might not be the currently running
> executable anyway.
>
> I could prompt the user for this, but that seems kind of silly.
> Surely,
> there must be some way of looking it up automatically?

The generalized answer to any question of this nature is:

If the answer you want isn't in <?php phpinfo();?> output, then the
answer you want probably isn't available.

In *my* installation:
which php
yields:
/usr/bin/php

Then:
php -i | grep "/usr/bin/php"
yields $_SERVER["_"] and $_ENV["_"]

No promise this works for any/all platforms, however.

PS For the 'locate' sub-thread -- You can't even guarantee that
'locate' will be available, much less initialized...  I don't think
it's a good solution, in general.

YMMV
NAIAA
IANAL