Jochem Maas wrote:

> > have you tried looking for this info you want?

Yup, but the manual seems kind of "light" on the subject.

> > I can't say for sure if it always exists but on the few boxes
> > I tried I found and entry in both $_SERVER and $_ENV:
> >
> > "_" => '/usr/bin/php'

I found these in $_ENV and $_SERVER, on Linux. I don't have handy access
to a working Windows installation, yet it needs to work on Windows as well.

If it really does exist on Windows, this might be the ticket, otherwise
a partial solution for Linux only.

> > but that was only on linux.
> > on windows (where my php cli install is a bit borked),
> > I didn't find it but I did find "PHPRC" which points to
> > the directory that the php executable lives in.

That's at least something. If someone could confirm, that would be great.

I used the following command (at the command-line) to check the contents
of $_SERVER:

php -r 'print_r($_SERVER);'

Obviously, $_ENV can be checked similarly.

> > these maybe of some use.

Yes very useful, thanks.

> > then again what ever it is your trying to do with the php script
> > you seem to need to run inside another instance of php could probably
> > be run within the context of the calling script - if you run it inside
> > a function you can stop any kind of variable scope clashes (assuming there
> > are
> > no symbol name clashes [e.g. duplicate functions/classes]):
> >
> > function runit()
> > {
> >     include 'myscript.php';
> > }
> >
> > it's just a thought.

Unfortunately, I think it's not an option in my case. The sub-process I
run this way are way, way too big to include in the main process.  As
long as I was just running it on my own systems, it was easy to
hard-code the location of the PHP executable but now that it's being
distributed, it needs to "just work"...

Thanks again,

Mattias