[snip]
They're not hacks, they're features.  :-)

I agree with Jay.

Leonard  -- as far as 99% of the time for anything on the web, prove
it. You can't -- your trolling.

Leonard -- as far as resizing properly, what the hell are you talking
about? The question is rhetorical I don't care to dwell on the lunacy
of the statement -- take it to a css-discuss list.
[/snip]

BTW, I am not saying that I am not guilty of using tables for layout
(just take a gander at www.pocket.com - I did the original design [very
liquid, stretches well but IE7 horks it up] and will be doing the next
version as well). I often turn to tables when time is an issue, but as I
use CSS more and more I try to avoid using tables for layout, unless it
is tabular data.

One very astute person here mentioned accessibility, and rightly so.
Some countries are holding developers feet to the fire on this point.
Tables for layout (a generally acknowledged hack for years) hampers
accessibility to screen readers and other tools disadvantaged persons
use to read and navigate web sites. I probably violate truckloads of
accessibility rules every day.

I also did not see this mentioned; browsers not only treat CSS
differently, they treat tables differently as well. Some browsers will
not display a table until they receive a closing table tag, others will
attempt to show the table as the data comes to the browser (a sometimes
nifty display and shift into position effect).

The one thing that is for sure is that you cannot treat web layout like
print layout and I see that all too often.