On Tue, April 17, 2007 6:53 pm, Larry Garfield wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 April 2007 3:40 pm, Robert Cummings wrote:
>
>> > BTW, any web developer worth his or her salt with a reasonable
>> amount of
>> > practice can make CSS layouts that resize as well as table based
>> layouts
>> > everyday of the week. I will refer you to
>> http://www.csszengarden.com/
>>
>> Only with hacks.
>
> Using tables for layout *is* a hack.  A common one, but still a hack.

The question on the table is whether it's ALWAYS a worse hack than the
ASCII soup hacks of CSS to get the layout one wants in all browsers.

I would contend that in *SOME* cases, if you really want *that*
layout, the table hack is more maintainable code, as a whole body,
than the CSS hacks.

It's possible that I only know the bad CSS people who can't do their
job right. :-v

I love the ideals of CSS;

It's the implementation I sometimes hate, and will take a TABLE in
preference.

It's gotten better, though, so I mostly prefer CSS now.

But only if one is willing to accept a simple layout, and not insist
on some whiz-bang layout that requires gnarly CSS ASCII soup hacks.

At that point, I long for the simplicity of a simple TABLE, though
it's usually too late to do anything about it in the real world time
constraints.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?