On Tue, April 17, 2007 10:35 pm, Paul Novitski wrote:
> At 4/17/2007 07:54 PM, Robert Cummings wrote:
>>tables were intended for laying out tabular data.
>
> This is an interesting assertion.  Perhaps it would be a good
> question for Tim Berners-Lee.  Was table markup intended to mark up
> tabular data or to lay it out?  I imagine that HyperText Markup

I believe the original intent was for tabular data.

I'm pretty sure that's how the HTTP spec or whatever I read originally
described the TABLE tag when it first came out.

Cool!  Like excel for the 'net.

Web Designers (who were sometimes former tugboat captains, in the dot
boom) decided to [ab]use them for layout, since, after all, the layout
they wanted was kind of tabular-looking.

Then it got kinda crazy with one-pixel spacer GIFs and nested tables...

Then CSS was born, I daresay in part in response to the insanity of
nested table layouts.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?