6/15/07, Jay Blanchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]
Server is running Linux, and PHP is constantly creating and modifying
images in a directory. Apache is constantly serving these same
images. There are about 250,000 of them in the same directory. Seems
to be running OK, no problematic CPU load, but I'm wondering if
anyone knows whether I'm living dangerously having that many docs in
one directory with that much activity. It is an extremely busy server.

Sorry is this seems like more of a linux sysad question than a PHP
question. Thanks...  :)
[/snip]

Two words. Beware the inode.

   If that directory is all on one single partition, God help you if
there's any corruption.  Check into RAID 0+1/RAID 5 disk striping if
you've got that many images.  And remember, the fact that they're all
in one directory doesn't matter at all to the system, as directories,
folders, et cetera, are just representations for human readability and
organization.  In fact, those files reside on several sectors
throughout the drive, and each file itself is probably fragmented many
times.

   Just for fun, though, if you want to crash your server, you could always do:
       `while [ 1 = 1 ]; do ls -l;done`

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272