> On 6/29/07, Jay Blanchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > As I understand it, LDAP and MySQL offer two different ways
> > of setting up a networked address book.
> > So I take it they can be compared as far as that is concerned.
> >
> > Actually, I normally run Linux, so Active Directory
> > would not be a priority for me.
> >
> > I didn't say LDAP was a database.
> > However, the principal usage of LDAP, as far as I can see
> > (by googling for LDAP) is in fact
> > to set up a network address book of some kind.
> > It may be used for other purposes,
> > but they are not really relevant to my enquiry.
> > [/snip]

PHP/MySQL/LDAP integration is something I've been thinking about for a
little while too.

I've built a CRM system in PHP with a MySQL database and would like the
contact info to be available to our users in their email programs. LDAP
seems a good (the only?) option for this due to support in Outlook etc.

>From my understanding, LDAP is just a defined protocol for accessing
directory data. The data must be stored somewhere else, in my case the MySQL
database.

In order to access the data using a LDAP, you need to set-up an LDAP server
(e.g. OpenLDAP). What I haven't looked into much yet is how to interface the
LDAP server to the MySQL database...

I know this isn't too helpful to the OP's question - just wanted to register
my interest in the topic and (hopefully) stimulate conversation.

Edward