On Tue, August 7, 2007 1:25 pm, Kevin Waterson wrote:
> Im looking for a way to get the domain from an email address.
> Not sub domains, just the domain, so
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> would return
> example.com.mn
>
> similarly, the address [EMAIL PROTECTED] would return
> example.com
>
> perhaps an array of tld's, then strip the tld off the end and anything
> before that and the next "." is the domain?
>
> also, somebody told me .co.uk was a tld, but I cannot see it listed
> http://www.iana.org/root-whois/index.html

I think you're in trouble...

The "rules" for what is or isn't a TLD have changed over time.

I did see a nice article the other day in the RFCs about some
pragmatic ways to do this "right" without killing yourself, or coding
something that's bound to break within a very short time.  Don't know
the RFC# offhand though, but I got the feeling that it was pretty
recent...

The LAST thing you want to do is hard-code the list of known TLDs from
today, because that will change too often.

.co.uk is a TLD, afaik...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?