what are the changes that supposedly make php5 faster than php4?

when java went from the 1.4 series to the 5 series it became much faster.
this is because of enhancements to the jitter mechanism for sure.  i dont
know what else they changed, but i know that had a great impact on the
performance.

php5 passes objects around by reference automatically, whereas in php4
if you do not specifically assign references using the
=&
construct a copy will be created.  i suspect if your test included a
scenario
where the =& mechanism was not used in php4, it would not be as fast as
the php5 counterpart, simply because more memory would be consumed.
indeed i suspect there is plenty of php4 code where people have forgotten
to assign object references using =&.

-nathan