On Tuesday 09 October 2007, Robert Cummings wrote:

> $sucker = new TryToViolateEncapsulation();
> $sucker = (array)$sucker;
>
> $keys = array_keys( $sucker );
> $sucker[reset( $keys )] = 500;
>
> $sucker = serialize( (object)$sucker );
> $sucker = 'O:25:"TryToViolateEncapsulation"'.substr( $sucker, 14 );
> $sucker = unserialize( $sucker );
>
> print_r( $sucker );
>

> Maybe next time you'll have a challenge for me ;) And don't whine about
> how I achieved what I did.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.

I've never actually thought of doing it that way, but I must say I find it an
amusing method. :-)

That said, I stand by my earlier comment.  Never use private variables.  Ever.
Use public or protected, but never private.  Private makes them un-extensible
to child classes.  That's just flat out rude.

And really, there's FAR more interesting and useful pieces to OOP, PHP's style
or otherwise, than PPP.  Interfaces are useful.  Being able to pass objects
around to each other without performance or references dying is useful.  And
SPL is just plain cool. :-)

--
Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson