Try gzuncompress();

On Dec 12, 2007, at 1:03 PM, Bob Sabiston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Dec 12, 2007, at 2:31 PM, Richard Lynch wrote:

On Wed, December 12, 2007 11:28 am, Bob Sabiston wrote:
I'm trying to read some zlib-compressed data from a regular binary
file. When I try to attach the zlib compression filter, I am getting
an error:  something about how the prebuffered data didn't work with
the filter and so the filter wasn't added to the filter chain.

I looked and found a way to turn off buffering for stream *writes*,
but not for stream reads.  Can anyone help with ideas for why this
isn't working?  I posted questions to comp.lang.php and received no
response.

If all else fails, you could just not use the fancy-pants new stream
and filter functions, and just use http://php.net/zlib directly on the
file.
Sorry Richard for the double mail, I didn't have the list cc'd before...

How could I do that? I thought the only way to use zlib in PHP was through the stream functions.

It's also possible your zlib file is just plain corrupt, and neither
will work...

But I am getting the error before I start to read -- it is not a zlib 'file', it is a stretch of data within
an ordinary file that has been compressed with zlib.

Thanks
Bob