On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 16:34 -0500, tedd wrote:
> At 3:42 PM -0500 12/12/07, Robert Cummings wrote:
> >  > Yes, but what if my disorder was random?
> >
> >How could you prove it is random? Give me an example of something you
> >can put into disorder that doesn't use the premise of order? For
> >instance throwing a handful of sand into the air is expected to obey the
> >establish laws of physics. These laws of physics suggest order in the
> >universe even when we perceive disorder.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Rob.
>
> Yes, but now we're getting back to artificial rules of the mind. We
> perceive the laws of physics to work a certain way because we have
> established rules as to how they should work. But, what happens when
> they don't work? Then we change the rules. We are now at string
> theory and things still remain disordered. All our efforts to put
> order to things still fall short.
>
> Also, when we do change our rules, nature hasn't changed. Nature
> hasn't suddenly changed to our view, but rather we change our
> thinking to adapt to observation. And it's in those terms of
> observation that order and disorder of things comes about and not in
> nature.

Once again, we're not trying to prove order. Order obviously exists. But
does random? Do the laws of physics randomly change? Just because we're
wrong about something doesn't change the machine. The machine is the
same, our understanding is the only thing that has changed. Even if the
machine changes has it done so randomly? Or according to some rule?

Anyways, this thread could go on forever. Order obviously exists, our
interpretation of what causes that order may be right or wrong, but it
doesn't change the existence of that order. That said we have no obvious
proof that random exists. Looking around I can't say look there, that
certainly is random. All I can say is that it is seemingly random, it
appears very disordered "to me".

I'm going to bail on this thread now... it's gone on too long :) Fun
though. Where's Crayon?

Cheers,
Rob.
SwarmBuy.com - http://www.swarmbuy.com

    Leveraging the buying power of the masses!