> when I type the word blah's to my text box
> variable, and then insert it into mysql after being ran through
> mysql_real_escape_string(), it does:
>
> insert into contract (contract_id, responsibility) VALUES (15, 'blah\\\'s')

It looks like magic quotes is turned on. Take a look at
http://us2.php.net/magic_quotes.

> and when I run that select statement in PHP it prints blah\'s on the
> screen.  I want it to print back blah's without the \.  So what are my
> options?  run every variable through stripslashes(); before printing
> them to the screen?

Using stripslashes is a nice quick fix, but for a long term solution
turn off magic_quotes and then update your data to remove the extra
slashes.

A simple way to do that is to loop through your database records, run
stripslashes and update the database. As always be sure to backup your
database before doing this, just to be safe! :)

HTH,

Brady