On Fri, January 11, 2008 1:51 pm, Manuel Lemos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on 01/11/2008 02:29 PM Richard Heyes said the following:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Bearing in mind I haven't yet done any benchmarks, which do you
>> think is
>> faster - SMTP with multiple RCPT commands or the PHP mail() function
>> (with it launching a separate sendmail process for each mail()
>> function
>> call)?
>
> It depends on the platform you are running PHP.
>
> There is a myth by which people believe that using mail() is slower
> than
> using SMTP connections.
>
> Some of those people using PHP on Windows (especially for
> development).
> On Windows, mail() uses SMTP connections.
>
> On Linux/Unix, mail() uses sendmail or equivalent programs. These
> programs use pipes to communicate, which are much faster than using
> SMTP
> TCP sockets.
>
> If you have your sendmail equivalent program properly configured, no
> SMTP connection is used when queueing messages using the sendmail
> program.

It may be possible to get sendmail to queue up the emails quickly, but
they won't actually go out until much later, when the queue is run...

And I'd be interested to hear of an actual side-by-side comparison on
comparable hardware where sendmail using pipes beats SMTP on a LAN.

If your SMTP server is halfway across the planet, well, yeah, then you
got a problem right there...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?