On Jan 30, 2008 12:40 PM, Nathan Nobbe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> just pointing out that the rails guys dont have much wiggle room.
> surely, youre familiar w/ this post:
> http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/blog/2007/09/7_reasons_i_switched_back_to_p_1.html

One article from one developer means what exaclty?  Perhaps he wasn't
writing enough lines of code per day to be stay happy using Rails?

> > Propel still uses XML last I messed with it.  Yaml is a lot better for
> > similar tasks.  The syntax is a lot smaller which makes it a lot
> > faster than XML.
> well lets see, it only reads the xml when the code is generated, which is not
> that often so any slowness of xml is not valid.  and last time i generated
> code
> in my project it took like under 5 seconds; boy that xml sure was painful =/

Well if all you do is toy projects then XML is fine.

<user id="babooey" on="cpu1">
  <firstname>Bob</firstname>
  <lastname>Abooey</lastname>
  <department>adv</department>
  <cell>555-1212</cell>
  <address password="xxxx">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</address>
  <address password="xxxx">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</address>
</user>

versus the Yaml equivalent:

babooey:
  computer: cpu1
  firstname: Bob
  lastname: Abooey
  cell: 555-1212
  addresses:
    - address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      password: xxxx
    - address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      password: xxxx

> Perfect example of an advance in web technology.
> perfect example of something that doesnt make much difference.

The time saved writing Yaml instead of XML makes a huge difference to
me.  Similar savings are to be had when comparing PHP to most anything
except Java.

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/