Richard Lynch schreef:

On Sun, February 3, 2008 11:51 am, Robert Cummings wrote:
On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 18:15 +0200, Paul Scott wrote:
On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 20:10 +1100, doc wrote:
come on people try you skills at

http://www.rhwebhosting.com/comp/index.php
Reworded as:

Redesign our complete web presence and give us a couple of apps that
we can flog to our clients,
and we *may* give you a consolation prize.
So not worth the time and effort. Any person capable of doing the code
conversion (to AT LEAST C, Python, and Perl nonetheless) is smart
enough
to know the potential payoff is worse than flipping burger and
McGeneric's.

Actually, the specification for the real estate listing thingie looked
pretty trivial...

on the surface of things I would agree - which is why there are plenty of
trivial
real-estate listing apps out there. but I doubt that's what they are looking
for.

when you factor in multi-user, multi-currency, multi-language aspects, the
ability
to switch between metric and imperial measurements, the issues related to
normalization of real-estate data with regard to offering usable search
mechanisms
(everyone has different 'styles' of data), backend integration, automated export
to third party systems and map integration things become a little more involved
oh and flexibility because every real-estate agent is looking for something
*slightly*
different.

given those points I would hazard a guess and say the development costs
outweigh the
potential prize money at least 4 to 1. granted a RE tool is not technically very
challenging but I wouldn't under estimate the ammount of time the details of
such an
app would take to implement.

anyway you put it these rhwebhosting guys are nuts if they think anyone
(meaning anyone
with the skills to actually produce the kind of quality/functionality their
looking for)
would be interested in this 'competition'