On Mon, February 4, 2008 2:36 am, Jochem Maas wrote:
> Richard Lynch schreef:

>>> So not worth the time and effort. Any person capable of doing the
>>> code
>>> conversion (to AT LEAST C, Python, and Perl nonetheless) is smart
>>> enough
>>> to know the potential payoff is worse than flipping burger and
>>> McGeneric's.
>>
>> Actually, the specification for the real estate listing thingie
>> looked
>> pretty trivial...
>
> on the surface of things I would agree - which is why there are plenty
> of trivial
> real-estate listing apps out there. but I doubt that's what they are
> looking for.

Yes, well, the spec they wrote is what I'm referencing, not what I
think they really need...

:-)

> when you factor in multi-user, multi-currency, multi-language aspects,
> the ability
> to switch between metric and imperial measurements, the issues related
> normalization of real-estate data with regard to offering usable
> search mechanisms
> (everyone has different 'styles' of data), backend integration,
> automated export
> to third party systems and map integration things become a little more
> involved ...
> oh and flexibility because every real-estate agent is looking for
> something *slightly*
> different.

Having gone through the process of buying a house this last year, and
using a few online tools/searches, I can confidently say that even the
ones in production use by big-name real estate companies...

suck.

:-)

Not completely totally useless, but I could easily have eliminated 90%
of the listings if they'd just provided some basic simple information
correctly.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?