I've always personally hated receiving email with large
attachments, preferring instead to get links to the content on the
web.  Plus, that cuts down on the bandwidth the server (as well as
mailservers, gateways, et cetera) are responsible for handling,
because the PDFs or other attachments would only be downloaded by
those who really wanted to have them.  However, I know nothing about
the business model with which Robert is working, so it may be neither
applicable or optional in his case.

No it's another perfectly viable option. "Click here to view a HTML version of this email" links I would say no, but for files, then why not? Also prevents pissing off the user by not having to download the attachment if they're not interested in it (and assuming it will be base64 encoded as most attachments are, don't forget it will grow in size by a third).

--
Richard Heyes
http://www.websupportsolutions.co.uk

Knowledge Base and Helpdesk software for £299 hosted for you -
no installation, no maintenance, new features automatic and free