Hello,

on 02/04/2008 02:22 PM Robert Fitzpatrick said the following:
> I a currently re-writing a web app from ASP to PHP and have come to the
> part where the app sends mass mailings to their customer base. This has
> always been problematic for them with the existing setup and I am
> looking for the best approach. While I've setup mailings with PHP, never
> such mass mailings. They will be using a web form to send sometimes
> 2-5MB attachments to thousands of customers to advertise new products
> with PDF's, etc. Using their Windows IIS SMTP virtual server smarthost
> function, I send their mail off-site to our postfix mail gateway, but it
> still bogs down and I'm sure a remote server is not the answer, but
> still better than the errors they receive trying to use localhost and
> IIS. Once the re-write, the app will be on to a Linux box where I can do
> some tweaking to these and hope localhost will work better for these
> mailings.
>
> Can someone give some pointers at how I may want to approach such mass
> mailings? Thanks in advance!

Relaying messages to an SMTP server is a very slow solution, despite a
common belief otherwise.

If you are under Windows, there is a much better solutions if you have
Microsoft Exchange installed. You can just drop messages in the pickup
folder if you have the right permissions. Sending messages is just like
writing to a file.

You may want to take a look at this MIME message composing and sending
class. It comes with several delivery sub-classes, including one which
knows how to drop messages in the Exchange pickup folder.

Also, if your message bodies do not change for different recipients,
this class provides smart body caching support, so it does not waste
time regenerating the message body for every recipient.

If you can use these features, I am sure you can benefit of great mass
mailing performance boost:

http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage

--

Regards,