> when you run you phpinfo script that you mentioned
> in your first post, do you see pear in one of the sections there (not just
> in the include path)?

A search on "pear" only yields this line:
include_path    .:/usr/local/php4/share/pear    .:/usr/local/php4/share/pear

Here is the page, so you can check it out if you want:

http://everoriginal.onlinewebshop.net/phpInfo.php

> also, as i said pear is a modular system, so even
> if
> pear is installed, the DB package may not be installed.

Is there something I could "include" from pear that would have an
extremely high possibility of being installed?

> yes, you will have to use putty to connect to the host and issue unix
> commands if you want to get to the bottom of this

Probably a good idea anyway, eh? I'll work on it...

..."SSH Manager section is not available for your hosting plan!"

I get free hosting at this place. I'd like to test it out before I buy,
but maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet.