At 7:06 AM -0800 3/8/08, Lamp Lists wrote:

That's actually part I'm interested the most :D What
is reasonable? Is reasonable for sucha project with
complex product catalog and ordering system  ask $10K?

I think that's reasonable, because I've done similar as you described.

I had one client who wanted a site like art.com (don't look now, because it's screwed) and I submitted a bid of $25k. The client asked "Isn't that a bit high?" and I relied "They paid $400k for their name -- you think they went cheap for the back-end?" I didn't get the job.

I tell clients I charge $50 per hour. Most clients don't mind and hire me.

I had one client say "I never pay more than $25 per hour -- you will accept that?" My answer was "Sure, but it will take me twice as long to do anything."

The point being that hourly wage doesn't really mean anything. Don't judge the value of your work on the time it takes you, but rather on how well your work works.

On most projects, while I make deadlines, I put in many more hours than I bill out. But then again, I love the work.

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------