Yes like that, but you can consider also that the
vertical menu has different style for the link of the
current page. Anyway it does not matter for this
problem. Can you show us how your php function looks
like? Or maybe you are just doing a test for each link
for your function to know if it is the link that
should be displayed differently. I was wondering if
there is a way to do the same thing without the
overhead of all that "if " statements.

http://webbytedd.com/clients/beckyscan/about-company.php