At 12:34 PM +0000 3/11/08, Stut wrote:
On 4 Mar 2008, at 13:57, Jochem Maas wrote:
Stut mentioned a little while back that he avoids using the built-in session

mechanism if at all possible, but still manages to track user state ... now I
can think of a way or two that he might do that but I was wondering if
any one could give an idea about the write way to do it in terms of
high performance :-)

Finally found time to finish the article, sorry for the delay...

http://stut.net/articles/sessionless_sessions.html

Constructive criticism welcome.

Stut:

Nice article.

I'm currently working on one large site and I only pass the user's id from page to page in session. All other data is pulled from the database as needed. But, I've never had a problem that spanned several servers. The idea was simply to call-in for the data needed rather than carry baggage around.

I have noticed that eBay uses a similar technique for different states of a user (un-confirmed, revisiting, and confirmed) via a cookie.

I question the reason why you would want to encrypt the cookie considering that before the user is going to be provided access to sensitive data that you require a password confirmation. The encryption seems to be an unnecessary overkill.

So what if a malicious user uses a cookie to pretend to be a real user IF before they can get access to sensitive data they have to enter a correct password?

Please explain.

Cheers,

tedd

--