Quoting Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I've encountered a situation where under PHP 5 the file_get_contents()
function will not work properly (actually not at all) if the php.ini
Filesystem configuration parameter, allow_url_include is set to OFF.
According to the PHP documentation allow_url_include is intended to
limiting PHP from accessing scripts on other servers.

I have read posts that suggest setting allow_url_include to ON as
a solution. Well that's great if you have the ability to modify your
php.ini. But what if you have an account on a shared hosting system
and the hosting company will NOT make the requested change?

Is there a work around to this or how would one access remote web services
if allow_url_include is OFF. This looks like a huge problem since many
services, like PayPal's IPN and Google maps geocoding, rely on communication
with their servers.

Try ini_set("allow_url_include", "1"); In your script. (not tested)

If that doesn't help. You can use CURL for this : http://php.net/manual/en/ref.curl.php