On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Mark Weaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
[snip!]

>  Cookie Test Page
>  ==========================
>  if (isset($_COOKIE["cookiename"])){
>         list($first,$second,$third) = explode('|',$_COOKIE["cookiename"]);
>         echo "<p>I found your cookie</p>\n";
>         echo "<p>The following Values were Contained in the cookie:<BR>
>               Username: $first<BR>
>               Password: $second<BR>
>               Type    : $third</p>\n";
>  }
>  else{
>         echo "<p>I wasn't able to find your cookie.</p>\n";
>  }
>
>  Now, I've constructed a cookie_test.php page to check things out and the
>  strange behavior I'm seeing is, upon first execution I get the "else"
>  block, but if I hit the browser's reload button I get the "if" block. At
>  first I thought the cookie wasn't being read at all because of weird
>  characters, but then upon reloading the page and seeing the "if" block
>  being displayed I'm thoroughly confused. It's gotta something simple I'm
>  missing.

    Is this block of code executed immediately after the cookie is
set?  Sometimes PHP works too fast for its own good and the client
doesn't even realize it has a cookie yet.  Try setting it with one
page and either sleep()'ing for a bit or forcing a link-click or page
refresh before checking for the cookie.

    Conversely, $_SESSION data is much quicker, since the PHPSESSID
cookie is sent as soon as you initialize the session
(session_start()), and you can then immediately access the variables.

    Proof-of-concept:
<?php
// session-test.php
    session_start();
    $_SESSION['test'] = "This is only a test.";
    echo $_SESSION['test']."<br />\n";
?>

<?php
// cookie-test.php
    setcookie("cookiename","This is a cookie test.",time()+86400);
    echo $_COOKIE['cookiename']."<br />\n";
?>

--
</Daniel P. Brown>